Members of the LSI's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategic planning committee include faculty, students, postdocs, research staff and administrative staff. The committee was formed in 2016 as part of a campuswide initiative to achieve new aspirations for diversity, equity and inclusion in Michigan's third century.
Share your thoughts with us at LSIdiversity@umich.edu.
Creating a climate for success for the LSI community is an ongoing effort. Here is a sampling of some of our accomplishments:
- In 2016, we conducted the LSI’s first climate survey — and shared findings with community, conducted follow-up discussions and updated our DEI strategic plan. We repeated the climate survey in 2019.
- We require all faculty on hiring committee members attend a campuswide recruitment workshop — Strategies and Tactics for Recruiting to Improve Diversity and Excellence (STRIDE) — which provides hiring committees with practices that produce more diverse candidate pools.
- We incorporate best practices for DEI into faculty searches — including establishing clear criteria for evaluation: research expertise, potential to be a leader, innovation and impact on a climate for success for all at the LSI.
- We offer DEI training sessions for administrative staff and other groups on topics including the business case for diversity, disability awareness, bystander intervention training and unconscious bias training for managers.
- We host a summer research program for high school students from under-resourced communities across the state.
- We have expanded our outreach efforts, including offering an award for those whose outreach activities are exemplary.
- We redesigned the LSI website to meet ADA web accessibility standards.